Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Relative Break

Call your grandmother.  Or better yet, go visit her.  There's a special relationship between grandparent and grandchild.  Traditionally, the grandparent is not responsible for raising the grandchild and so they do not have to play the role of disciplinary.  With this removed, there's only room for love.  I remember it always being a treat visiting my grandparents, a welcome escape to a warmer climate.  I decided to make such a retreat recently.  I was lucky enough to know all four of my grandparents, but now only my paternal grandmother remains.  In a truly serendipitous moment, we realized that while I would be visiting we would be able to see the play "4000 Miles."  While we both appreciate the arts, this play would be extra special for us because of it's subject matter.  It revolves around the relationship between a grandmother and her grandson who visits her and ends up staying longer than expected.  It was a wonderful experience we shared together of when theater and life collide.  While my stay did not extend past the 5 days we had, it will be time we will not soon forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment